If you're not a tofu lover, we encourage you to give this 30-minute recipe a try. It may just surprise you :-)
|1 (~12 oz | 340 g) pkg||extra firm tofu|
|1 cup||instant brown rice|
|4 - 5 bunches||baby bok choy|
|1/8 tsp||red pepper flakes|
|2 tsp||vegetable oil|
|1 tbsp||rice vinegar|
|2 tbsp||pure maple syrup|
|4 tbsp||low-sodium soy sauce|
- Drain 1 pkg tofu and cut into 1" (2 1/2 cm) cubes. Place a clean towel on the counter, transfer tofu cubes to one half, and cover with the other. Press down to get as much moisture out as possible.
- Add 1 cup water to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 cup instant brown rice and 1/8 tsp salt. Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Then remove from heat, stir, and let it stand for 5 minutes until water is absorbed. Meanwhile ...
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat. Once well heated, add 1 tsp vegetable oil and swirl to coat surface. Then add tofu and, stirring frequently, cook until golden brown, 4-6 minutes. Meanwhile ...
- Peel and crush (or mince) 4 cloves garlic. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 of the garlic, 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, 3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, and 1 tbsp rice vinegar.
- Wash 4-5 bunches baby bok choy, trim bottoms, and separate leaves.
- Once tofu is browned, add sauce from bowl to pan and mix with tofu. Stirring regularly, cook until liquid reduces to a thick syrup and coats tofu, about 3 minutes. Then transfer tofu to a plate.
- Return pan to stove over medium heat. Add 1 tsp vegetable oil and swirl to coat surface. Then add garlic and 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes. Stir until fragrant, 15-30 seconds.
- Add bok choy and 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce. Tossing regularly, cook until stalks are tender-crisp and leaves are wilted, 3-4 minutes. Season with 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Toss to coat.
- Serve tofu with rice and bok choy on a plate or in a bowl. Enjoy 1/2 for dinner and pack up leftovers for tomorrow's lunch!